Field Question Settings: Adding a Name and Description for a Field
When you add in a new Field, the Section Settings Section is open for you to edit. Write in the Field Name (one of the most important components to add) and any Instructions for that field.
Once you enter in your new Question/Field, you will be able to set different properties for the different Field's. There are a number of properties that can be set for each question that give your data more power, and make entering and interpreting the information much faster.
For the Question Setting Properties you can see the:
- Type: Shows the type of question (in this example a Single Line Text was used)
- Name: The Name of the questions (which needs to be renamed from "Question", exactly as was performed to rename a Section)
- Instructions: Any instructions about the information that is being captured, such as descriptions, to help reduce data entry errors and capture meaningful data (these are also called tooltips and depending on the format you set for the section can appear as pop up tooltips).
- Entry Mode: Normal (used for entering a single field)
Table (used for entering multiple amounts of data for a single field using in a column based table- see the Lesson on Tables)
Matrix (used for entering information in a pre-set column and row matrix- see the Lesson on Matrix)
- Is a group: is only used when you enter Databases or Options and you want to distinguish between available selections in the athlete history and reports. You may have bench press, tricep dips etc and you want to only view information entered for tricep dips. Click this button allows you to do this in the reports and athlete history section.
Required and the Default settings are discussed in the next two lessons.