Smart Saves provide your organisation with the ability to preset data to be saved at a specific day and time without any data having to be entered on the Smartabase system. It is automated data entry designed to support review based forms when no revision history is required to be stored.
Some important points about this feature include:
- The module is available on the Administration Site for Fusion Staff ONLY (this is purely to ensure each system and server can be monitored after each Smart Save is developed)
- No data needs to be entered for the Target to be entered
- All athletes who are set to be monitored will have a Target entered for them
- A Smart Save cannot be used to trigger a Smart Flow.
- Many of the set up features are the same as for a Smart Flow, so you need to be familiar with the Smart Flow development manual BEFORE you attempt to develop a Smart Save.
- Because Smart Saves can be set up for forms with a lot of historical calculations and potentially for a number of athletes, this puts a lot of load on the server. Smart Saves are set to run ONLY on the server during off peak times.
- WARNING:The smart saves were originally set to run between 2-4am local time. But as some servers included clients across multiple timezones, all timezone were set to run in the UTC +12 timezone between 2-4am. This has caused additional issues as the Smart Save was being entered in the wrong timezone for the client and the entries were appearing on the wrong day.
- Each server now is now being set to have the Smart Save run at an optimal time for the majority of the clients on the server. This means it will run during off peak times, AND it will run on the same day as the client so that there are no issues with the date of entry.
- Please note that as Smart Saves are triggered for an "am" period, so even though an event might be set to appear on the system at 8:00pm, it is triggered to be entered at 2-4am on that morning, so NO data entered during the day of the Smart Save will be included in the event appearing at 8:00pm.
Fusion Staff, before you create a Smart Save ensure you have access to all of the forms that will be used. If you do not, you will be shown the not authorised error
Any existing Smart Saves appear, and a new Smart Save can be created by clicking on "Create new Smart Save"
Only Forms that are set up with Save Audits set to No are available for use in Smart Save. HOWEVER, before this Advanced Form property is turned off, remember that the audit capability sets whether or not we track data entered before resaves or migrations. ONLY forms that are review forms should have this feature disabled
An example of a form that uses purely linked fields, so if a migration fails or the data is resaved, Smartabase does not need to keep a copy of the data in this form (because relinking will pull through the data)
Remember that the audits set whether or not Smartabase keeps a record of data entered before resaves or migrations, including failed migrations etc. ONLY forms that are review forms should have this feature disabled
Once you click on Create New Smart Save, name it clearly and add in a Description
Now select the Event Form that you want to use.
Select the Date Type. The "Period" and "Specific Date / Annual" are FUNCTIONALLY different. Please review the differences in the Smart Flow manual
Once you set the Date Type, choose the time that you want the entry to be entered (based on your local browser time)
N.B. For all Date Types, Retrospective Dates and Time Periods cannot be used. A Target Event cannot be entered before today's date
Save as Draft: This allows the Target event to be saved on the system as a "Draft" event, and not as a "Completed" event.
CRITICAL INFO: Templates may need to be used depending on the way your form is structured, or whether you want pre-filled information in the Target entry
On Smartabase, during automated event entry, completely blank entries do not appear in the athlete history pages or on the Reports pages. Hence, if you set up a Smart Save and there is no "data" being stored in the actual form when the Smart Save Target form is entered, then the event will not appear where users expect it; it is essentially hidden.
There are two ways that you can ensure you have "data" stored in the Event Form:
1. Use a linked field or Profile fields so that "data" is pulled into the form, so this means actual data is being stored in the form.
2. Use the Templates functionality, and this will pre-fill some, or all of the fields in the form.
N.B. Templates provide additional functionality in that they can be set up to provide important feedback to athletes or coaches with pre-specified answers which could be set up dependent on scores or results.